This is a Service Level Agreement (SLA) between the UCI campus community (Users) and UCI Libraries, documenting the self-service “Digital Sandbox” that UCI Libraries manages and is provided by Reclaim Hosting. This SLA outlines the service one can expect from UCI Libraries, as well as the responsibility of those using the service.
This agreement is reviewed January of every year, though changes may occur more frequently.
UCI Libraries offers this free, self-service sandbox environment for any UCI faculty, staff or student to use for short-term, UCI-related work. The Digital Sandbox is not a long-term hosting solution.
Each account comes with the following features:
- User-defined subdomain (e.g., yourname.sandbox.lib.uci.edu)
- Automated weekly backups
- 1-Click installation of applications such as WordPress, Scalar, Omeka and more
- cPanel interface to easily manage files and databases
- Minimal storage per user
- UCI Libraries aims to review and approve qualified account requests within 1 week of request unless there is a problem verifying eligibility of the requester.
- Digital Sandbox is intended as a self-service tool. UCI Libraries is committed to advising and consulting on general educational and research use, but can only provide limited technical or web development support (see Limitations below).
- UCI Libraries will check in annually with users to ensure websites are still in use. Websites whose owners cannot annually confirm continued use will be removed within 1 month of inquiry.
- UCI Libraries will share any platform outage or other critical systems notifications to users
UCI Libraries will ensure that the third-party provider, Reclaim Hosting, is abiding by their standard SLA.
- Users are responsible for managing and maintaining the content and code of their project site. “Content” includes, but isn’t limited to, text, images, pdfs, coding files, applications such as WordPress, and any plugins associated with the application.
- Users are responsible for any issues on their project site that may result from a security update. Coding and programming support will not be provided.
- Users must respond to UCI Libraries’ annual check-in to confirm continued use of their project site. If no response is provided within 1 month, the project will be removed.
- Users are responsible for ensuring the security of their project site by using secure protocols (https), and resolving major website security issues. For non-major security issues, clients have three weeks to respond to reported security issues to prevent their project site from being taken offline.
Users are responsible for ensuring web accessibility standards are met, where applicable. See IT Accessibility for more information.
Community and Support
Questions and Technical Support
For account requests, fill out an interest form. For technical support requests, email UCI Libraries’ Digital Scholarship Services department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Both are reviewed during standard business hours between 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday, excluding university holidays. Users may expect to receive a response within 3-5 business days.
UCI Libraries Digital Scholarship Services department will communicate with users via email about training, resources, and events related to the Digital Sandbox, including opportunities for users to participate in skillshares and showcases.
In the event of an incident that stops the Digital Sandbox from functioning, UCI Libraries will work with Reclaim Hosting to immediately resolve the issue. If an individual project site stops working, it is the responsibility of the user to manage the resolution of the issue. Users can send a service request to DSS who can help on a best effort basis.
- The Digital Sandbox is only available to active UCI faculty, staff and students through Single Sign On. Individual applications installed by users on their project site may be made accessible to non-UCI collaborators.
- Digital Sandbox accounts will be deleted within a year after one leaves the university.
- Please refer to UC Irvine’s Administrative Policies and Procedures page for limitations on how a client can use their Digital Sandbox account.
- Installation of applications is limited to what is available on the cPanel.
- Given that the Digital Sandbox is a self-service solution, UCI Libraries only provides limited technical support. Technical support includes questions about using the DSS service itself, one-click applications, and general training.